WhatsApp Update: Group Admins Finally Have Better Control
Power to The Admin ?
WhatsApp has a Beta program that allows you to test early releases of the app before it goes live. Recent updates from the Beta program indicates some new features about to be rolled out to the app for all. This update specifically targets group admins, giving them more power as opposed to what already exists.
Below are some of the new features upcoming in the app (for Group Admins):
- WhatsApp will prevent the group creator to be deleted from the group by other administrators: Imagine being removed from a group you created yourself, by another admin ? This should help the group creator have the full control of the group.
- The administrators will be able to choose if other participants can modify the subject of the group, its icon and its description: Been a long time coming! I mean how should a participant of a group be able to change the group icon? ?
- Participants can use a new Search feature to quickly search other participants: Now you will be able to search for that annoying group member within the group ?
- Administrators will be able to remove more participants at once thanks to the Search feature in Group Info later: Whew! Relief!
- Group info changed notifications: When an administrator decides that participants cannot change the subject of the group, its icon and its description, a notification will appear in the group as shown.
- Restricted Group Activities: Administrators will be able to disable the chat features in the group. That means all participants won’t be able to send in the group text messages, images, videos, GIFs, documents, voice messages or start a new live location session. They will be able to do nothing in the group, and a notification in the chat will appear. Pretty power focused, if you ask me. Imagine if a group admin gets bored and decides that no one can chat in the group again. I know some people who will literally throw tantrums at this (you know yourself ?)
- When administrators disable the chat feature, only they can interact with each other in the group: This will come in handy when an administrator wants to get the attention of all participants, writing something important or to organize an event. When a group is restricted and only administrators can interact in it, a normal participant can only read incoming messages and he cannot send messages. If a no-admin participant needs to write something in a restricted group, he has to contact an administrator, and he can use the Message admin button.
NOTE: All these features for groups are disabled by default, so it’s normal if you don’t see them when you update the app. You will have to wait these new features get pushed to the stable version so you can have access to them. I hope they update this sooner than later. We need power! ?
If you can’t wait however, you can join the WhatsApp beta program. use this link: https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.whatsapp
You can also download Beta Versions of WhatsApp from APK Mirror Beta versions of Apps are usually unstable releases, so be sure to expect some bugs.
Enjoyed the post? Why not share with someone? Join our monthly newsletter and receive our Tech Ebook for each month in your inbox for free. Check the email form titled “Free Ebook”.